To be a part of senior management, managers need to inculcate leadership qualities like envisioning the future, taking a macro view of the business landscape, and developing a strategic mindset.
The Senior Management Programme (SMP) is IIM Calcutta’s longest-running, flagship management development programme running continuously for the last 19 years, a feat unmatched by any of its peers. The oldest such programme in the country running its 20th batch, SMP is a one-year immersive management education programme designed specifically for senior executives.
Covering over eleven modules, the programme will expose participants to contemporary macro perspectives as well as functional knowledge for enhancing their strategic decision making.
While taking a career leap from a functional to a managerial role, there is always a greater degree of change in accountability with the oversight of multiple and diverse functional roles. Also, it requires a paradigm shift in attitude, perspective, mindset, and thought processes. Success in this role can depend on the aspirant’s personality and skills. Good managers are almost always good leaders as well. IIM Calcutta’s Senior Management Programme will boost senior executives’ strategic perspectives, help them gain relevant knowledge, develop new skills, forge stronger relationships, and foster creativity and self-confidence. It will also help them leverage new opportunities to become future-ready business leaders.
- Ranked #3 institute in NIRF Rankings 2022 in India
- The oldest Leadership Development Programme in the country for senior managers
- Contextually designed 1-year programme for senior executives
- 2 campus immersion modules of 5 days each
- IIM Calcutta Executive Education Alumni status
- Largest alumni network of 2,500+ among peer institutions in India
After completing this programme, the participants should be able to:
- Gain broader knowledge of government, macroeconomic, legal, and analytical aspects of business decision-making
- Acquire operational excellence by enhancing their existing functional and cross-functional competencies
- Have a strategic mindset and transform into strategic leaders
- Bachelor’s degree (10+2+3 or 10+2+4) or 2 years’ Master’s degree or its equivalent from institutions or Universities recognised by UGC/AICTE/AIU/DEB
- oMinimum 50% aggregate marks of all years in either bachelor’s or master’s degree or its equivalent
- Candidates should be working & should have a minimum of 10 years of work experience* post completion of qualifying education
- Final selection will be done by IIM Calcutta
*Internships and Training Experiences will not be considered as full-time work-experience.
Profiles will be assesed by IIM Calcutta on the basis of Academics, work experience, documents and Statement of Purpose.
The programme covers three modules that expose participants to contemporary macro perspectives as well as functional knowledge to enhance their strategic decision-making capabilities.
- Business, Government, and Society
- Market Economies and Macroeconomic Policies
- Legal Aspects of Business
- Achieving Operational Excellence
- Managing Human Resources
- Quantitative Tools for Decision Making
- Financial Reporting and Analysis
- Corporate Finance and Financial Markets
- Developing A Strategic Marketing Plan
- Developing Organisational Leadership
- Developing A Strategic Mindset
The face-to-face campus sessions may include topics such as Digital Transformation, Business Communication, Conflict and Negotiation Skills, Business Analytics and its Applications, Challenges of Entrepreneurship, Understanding Self, Global Political Economy, etc.
- Candidates will successfully complete the programme if they have received ‘poor’ grades in not more than two courses
- Successful candidates will receive a ‘Certificate of Completion’ from IIM Calcutta
- Those with requisite participation but unable to complete successfully will receive a ‘Certificate of Participation’
- Giving feedback is an integral part of the completion requirements of the programme
- It will be mandatory for participants to attend all campus visits for the successful completion of the programme
- Successful participants will also be accorded IIM Calcutta Executive Education Alumni status
Prof. Megha Sharma
Prof. Megha Sharma is an Associate Professor in the Operations Management Group at the Indian Institute of Management Calcutta (IIMC). A process improvement and sustainability enthusiast, she earned her Doctorate in Production & Quantitative Methods from the Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad. She holds a Bachelor’s in Technology in Civil Engineering from Malaviya National Institute of Technology, Jaipur (Gold Medallist). Her areas of interest include Business Process Improvement, Project Management, Statistics for Data Analytics, and Supply Chain Network Design.
Her research has won several awards and has been published in several leading national and international journals. Prof. Megha has been actively involved in academia-industry interaction through executive training, programme design and delivery, and consulting. In her over a decade long association with IIMC, she has led and taught in several executive training programmes targeted at professionals at different career levels, including senior managers, CXOs, and bureaucrats.
At IIMC, she currently co-leads executive education programmes on Strategic Project Management, Supply Chain Management, and a General Management Programme for Senior Managers.
Prof. Chetan Joshi
Prof. Chetan Joshi is a faculty member in the Organisational Behaviour Group of IIM Calcutta, where he teaches courses and conducts open/customised training programmes on Interpersonal Skills, Leadership and Team Building, Negotiation Skills, Conflict Resolution, Group Dynamics, and Organisation Structure and Design. His research has been published in Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion: An International Journal, Project Management Journal, Industrial Marketing Management, International Journal of Human Resource Management, and presented at international conferences such as the Administrative Sciences Association of Canada, Society for Industrial and Organisational Psychology, International Congress of Psychology, and the Academy of Management.
He has developed simulations and exercises, which have been showcased at the annual conferences of the OBTS Teaching Society for Management Educators. His co-authored case studies and teaching notes are available from Harvard Business School Publishing. He has also co-helmed the following Long Duration Programmes at IIM Calcutta: PGCFBM, Senior Management Programme, LMP Accenture, Executive Programme in International Business, and EGMP Nestle.
|Fee Particulars||Amount (in )|
|Processing Fee** (Collected at the time of application)||20,000 + GST|
|Total Course Fee(Exclusive of GST) ***||8,00,000 + GST|
|No. of Installments -Total amount to be paid in 4 installments|
|Instalment No.||Amount (in )|
|Instalment I||3,500 + 1,96,500|
|Instalment II||2,00,000 + GST|
|Instalment III||2,00,000 + GST|
|Instalment IV||2,00,000 + GST|
|Timeline and Dates|
|Application Closure Date||10-Oct-2022|
|Programme Start Date||27-Nov-2022|
|Programme End Date||30-Dec-2023|
The teaching approach will be highly interactive and deploy diverse pedagogical tools and techniques most suitable for each module such as cases, role-plays, simulations, games, and lectures. To provide greater industry insights, practitioners would also be invited to share their experiences.
Senior Management Programme of IIM Calcutta is the oldest course in this domain offered by any of the top b-schools of India. The programme already have the huge number of Alumnus all over the world. The course content of the course is divided into 3 parts Perspectives, Functional Competencies and Competition, Strategy & Leadership. The Programme manager ensured to update course with the content to tackle the current business and senior management challenges for making decisions to bring positive change in the organizations. We have seen many professionals achieved great growth in their professional life while doing the course only. The online but LIVE sessions bring together all the candidates on one platform to discuss case studies and learn by doing. The Batch 19 of SMP from IIM Calcutta look forward to take up the very selective profiles who want to challenge themselve to learn the highest level of management and leadership skills while working. After speaking to various Alumnus and being part of admissions team for last few years, We strongly recommend Senior Management Programme of IIM Calcutta to working professionals who are working in the midlle level management and upper middle management and take up the senior management challenges. Further, professionals already on senior management, leadership and director kind of roles are also highly recommended to take this course for further growth.
This review of Senior Management Programme of IIM Calcutta is written exclusively by the team of #TheTopBSchool. We have been counselling for this course for few years and connected to the Alumunus of previous batches. We wish all the best to all aspirants for the selection in the course. Aspirants can connect us to know all the details, course content, application process and assistance in putting application for SMP of IIM Calcutta.Apply Now